Rockdale County, Ga Office of the Tax Commissioner

Icon for page: Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

We're always happy to answer your questions at the tax commissioner's office. You can ask questions by phone, email or text.

Here are some of our most asked questions.

Where do I send my insurance policy?

Call your insurance, ask them to upload your policy to the Georgia data base.

Where can I renew my tag?

You can renew your tag online at Georgia DRIVES E-Services, by mail at 969 Pine Street, Conyers, GA 30012, or at any Georgia MVD self-service kiosk location, including at Kroger in Conyers Square at 1745 GA – 138 SE, Conyers, GA 30013

I have questions for the Tax Office. Who do I call?

Call our office at 770-278-7600 and press #5 to speak with an agent. You can also text our office at 678-964-4712 with any question, and an agent will respond to you via text as soon as possible.

How do I renew my car registration?

Visit Georgia DRIVES E-Services at to renew your registration, calculate the TAVT, get a copy of your registration.

When can I get my tag renewed?

AFTER HOURS TAG RENEWAL SERVICE will be available in Kroger Grocery stores. The nearest Kroger is located at 1745 GA – 138 SE, Conyers, GA 30013

Can I renew my tag with an out of state license?

Your ID must reflect Rockdale County in order to renew in the office.

How do I find out the amount of Ad Valorem tax due?

Visit Georgia DRIVES E-Services at to use the online TAVT calculator

Do I need an emissions inspection?

In 2023, all 1999 - 2020 model year gasoline-powered cars and light-duty trucks (8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or less) require emissions in Rockdale.

Can I get an exemption from my emissions inspection requirement?

Senior Exemption: The vehicle owner must be 65 years old or older, the vehicle must be 10 model years old or older (2013 model year or earlier), and the vehicle must be driven less than 5,000 miles per year (the odometer must be functional in order to demonstrate the “under 5,000 miles/year” requirement).

Seniors who have received an exemption in the past may be able to renew by phone at 1-800-449-2471.

Out-of-Area Extension: Available for vehicles owners who meet all requirements (the requirements can be found at; vehicle must be tested upon return to the area.  Vehicles can be tested well in advance if the driver will be out of the area at the time of registration.

Repair Waiver: Available if emissions-related repairs meet or exceed the Repair Waiver limit amount; other qualifications based on vehicle model year apply.

How much will the inspection cost?

Test costs varies; for more details please visit

I sold my car. How do I cancel my registration?

If you are Cancelling your registration on a car you no longer own. You can fill out an application for voluntary registration cancellation form and either mail or drop it off at our drop box just outside the entrance door.

You can also go to to cancel your registration.

How can I renew my tag?

You can renew your tag by mail, on the internet, or at the Kiosk at Kroger on hwy 138.

What is the deadline for registering my new vehicle?

A vehicle must be registered within 30 days of purchase.

When do I have to update my license after moving to Rockdale?

New residents must register and have a Georgia driver’s license within 30 days of moving to Georgia.

How can I pay my property tax bill

You can mail back in the self-addressed pink envelope with your payment, check or credit card.

You can place in our drop box to the right of the front door.

You can also visit and click the link to sign up for your online account (similar to an online bank account).

How can I get my questions answered?

Questions can be texted to the tax office at 678-964-4712. Questions can be emailed at: Voice messages can be left at 770-278-7600 prompt #4