Rockdale County, Ga Office of the Tax Commissioner

Auto Registration, Tag/Title Information

A motor vehicle must be registered within 30 days of purchase. For new residents, a motor vehicle must be registered and a Georgia driver's license obtained within 30 days of moving to Georgia.

Vehicles purchased or transferred into ownership are no longer subject to the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, vehicles are subject to a new, one-time title ad valorem tax (TAVT) paid at the time of registration. The TAVT is 7% of the vehicle’s value, which is the retail sales price for new vehicles or determined by the Department of Revenue for used vehicles.

All vehicles 1986 and newer must be titled (not applicable to trailers weighing less than 2,000 lbs.)

To register a vehicle, you must have the following information:

  • Either the title (if you have it) or lienholder's name and address (if the lienholder holds the title)
  • Owner's certificate of registration
  • Insurance binder
  • Current mileage
  • Original Georgia emissions report. For more information, visit
  • Application signed by all owners shown on the ownership paperwork (application available at any tag office)
  • Valid Georgia driver's license with current Rockdale County address

When applying for automobile tags through the mail, please enclose the vehicle's emissions report with the payment and tag application.

Emissions Information

For current information on emissions laws and requirements, visit Georgia's Clean Air Force. To find an Emissions Testing Center, visit our Emissions Locator.

Insurance Laws

By law, insurance companies are required to electronically transmit to the state current insurance information. An insurance card is not acceptable proof of insurance. A binder may be used to update coverage; however, valid insurance information must be transmitted to the state's database within 30 days.

Selling a Vehicle

Unless you transfer the tag from the "sold" vehicle to another vehicle within 30 days or cancel the registration, the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) records will indicate the vehicle is without insurance. You will get a notice that your vehicle's registration will be suspended and you must visit the Tax Commissioner's Office with a notarized Form MV18J to update DOR records. DOR forms are available at

Cancel your registration at the County Tag Office when you cancel your insurance if:

  • You sell or transfer ownership of a vehicle and you will not transfer the registration to another vehicle within 30 days.
  • The vehicle will not be operated for 30 or more days.

Specialty Tags

The Georgia Department of Revenue offers a variety of speciality license plates, which may be obtained through the Rockdale County Tax Commissioner’s Office. For an up-to-date listing of available license plates, visit the Georgia Department of Revenue.

Disabled Parking Permits

The Rockdale County Tax Commissioner's Office is authorized to issue disabled placards and/or license plates to Rockdale County residents. Residents are entitled to one plate per registered vehicle and one placard.